Monday 31 October 2011

Main Task - Sparking Up Ideas

"Main task: The titles and opening of a new fiction film, to last a maximum of two minutes."
In class with Craig, Charlie and Mr Codling, we now are moving away from the preliminary task onto the main task.
Firstly, we decided to record our discussion on my camera, so we can play back what we have shared with each other the ideas of our main task. I have to upload this video in my own time, so my classmates will have access to it and they can edit the video of themselves taking part in the discussion for their blogs.
Here is my part in the filmed discussion (do turn up volume high):




My ideas haven't quite sparked up yet, but I will be inspired by other thriller/horror-genre films to create my own. I know what I definitely want in my main task:
*play on common fears/phobias -or concentrate on a less-known fear/phobia and create a new common phobia;
*have small amount of characters -create isolation;
*twist conventions of a thriller/horror -audience doesn't figure out storyline so early in the film, leaves suspense;

Definition of thriller:
"Thrillers are a genre of literature, film, and television programming that uses suspense, tension, and excitement as the main elements.
A genuine, standalone thriller is a film that provide thrills and keeps the audience cliff-hanging at the "edge of their seats" as the plot builds towards a climax."

I will be watching films or segments of films that fits into thriller/horror genre, like:

Insidious (2010) - "A family looks to prevent evil spirits from trapping their comatose child in a realm called The Further."

Scream (1996) - "A killer known as "ghost face" begins killing off teenagers, and as the body count begins rising, one girl and her friends find themselves contemplating the "Rules" of horror films as they find themselves living in a real-life one." [Only watch first five minutes below]




Source Code (2011) - "An action thriller centered on a soldier who wakes up in the body of an unknown man and discovers he's part of a mission to find the bomber of a Chicago commuter train."

1 comment:

  1. May, I can see you've made references to various films, but
    I would also like to see visual references/clips discussing in
    detail how these clips influenced your choices. Please embed quotes
    and add further discussion.

    ReplyDelete